The first step to getting your business online and protecting your business name. Search for and register your own domain name here.
Search for your .com.au domain name here:
Search for your .com domain name here:
Why should I get a domain name?
A few good reasons to get a domain name include:
- Protect your business name. Even if you don't yet have a website or even if you plan on never having one, by registering your business' name as a domain name (Eg. www.bob-the-plumber.com.au) you have secured that domain name for yourself and/or your business. This means no one else can 'take' that domain name because you currently own it. When the domain name is due for expiry (usually every two years for .com.au domain names) you will have the first chance to renew it, before it goes on the open market again.
- Create your own company emails. By registering your business name as a domain name and purchasing web hosting, you are now in a position to setup your own company emails. For example, if your domain name is www.bob-the-plumber.com.au, you could create emails such as Bob@bob-the-plumber.com.au , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com etc. There are a number of benefits to having your own company emails:
- Publicise your own business when you send an email, rather than Hotmail, Yahoo, BigPond, Gmail or whoever else.
- Look more Professional. Nothing says small company or start-up like an email address from Hotmail, Gmail etc or some other company. Bob@bob-the-plumber.com.au looks more professional than Bobtheplumber@hotmail.com
- Potentially save money by being able to switch Internet providers without changing your email address. For example, if you currently have a Big Pond email address but find a cheaper internet deal with Optus, you may have problems keeping your Big Pond address without paying extra. If you have your own web hosting and domain name, you'll never have to worry about changing your email address again.